These are really easy to make and I take them to new families all the time. They are nutritionally jam packed, easy to grab and eat quickly. Also they taste like a treat (but are actually really good for you).
- 2 c. good dates, pitted (softened in hot water if needed, but try to buy nice squashy dates)
- 4 tbsp nut butter
- big pinch of good sea salt
- 2 c. mixed nuts of your choice (I use a mix of walnuts, almonds, cashew)
- 2/3 c. mixed seeds (chia, hemp, flax, sunflower etc)
- optional: 2 tbsp coconut oil or coconut manna, 1 tsp good vanilla extract
Then comes the hard part (it’s not hard at all): put the dates, nut butter and salt in a food processor and mush it up. Add everything else and pulse until very chopped up and even. Try squeezing some of the mixture in your hand, if it keeps it’s shape then it’s done. Otherwise add a bit of coconut oil or some nut butter to moisten the mix until it comes together.
Roll into balls and freeze. I just ate one directly out of the freezer without thawing and it was delicious.
These are super adaptable too, you could use a mix of dates and other dried fruits (prunes work well, some softened apricots), you can add oats, dried coconut or puffed grains even).