mmmm steam buns! i can’t say that these are PERFECTED but they are pretty damn good. i’ve been experimenting with different fillings, and it is more exciting every time.
may i suggest eating them with some sort of sichuan deliciousness, like tangy potato shreds (revised recipe coming up)
STEAM BUN DOUGH
- 2 c. flour (so far i’ve been using white unbleached)
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 c. warm water
mix all the dry ingredients (including the yeast). add the oil and water and mix it all up until just combined. knead on a lightly floured board until it all comes together and is smooth, a few minutes. let rise in a nice warm place in a covered bowl until doubled. roll into a little log and cut into 8 pieces, and roll each piece in a ball then roll it out into a nice little pancake. put a couple spoonfuls of filling in the centre and gather up the edges and pinch into a little twist at the top. but on a square of parchment and continue with the rest. put in a bamboo steamer (leave room they grown HUGE) and steam over a large pot of wok for 15 minutes.
- garlic scapes and tofu
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 3 garlic scapes, sliced thin
- a handful finely chopped greens (bok choi, pak choi, spinach, whateva)
- 1/4 block medium firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp each: black vinegar, sesame oil, chili paste
- mix it all up!
- shredded jackfruit
- 1 cup shredded jackfruit (canned, green jackfruit in BRINE)
- 2 scallions, sliced very thin (white and green separate)
- 1 tsp each: minced ginger, minced garlic, sriracha, apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp 5-spice
- 1 tbsp hoisin
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
saute the whites part of the scallions, and add jackfruit until slightly browned. remove from heat, put in a bowl and mix together with all remaining ingredients. taste and season as needed.
- 4 tbsp black vinegar
- 1 tsp hoisin
- 1 tsp chili bean paste
- 1 tsp sesame paste (chinese sesame paste, not tahini)
- a few drops of sesame oil
- 1 tsp minced ginger