smoothie life! sometimes i get into a smoothie rut where i just throw in as many things as i can to cover all my nutrition bases and they’re ok but not delicious. i’ve been making an effort to be more curatorial with my smoothie choices and hot damn we’ve been turning out some tasty treats.
here are some ideas! these are guides more than recipes, morning smoothie time is no time for measuring.
all smoothies serve 2.
- i add hemp hearts to pretty much every single smoothie always
- some amount of greens (you can’t even tell sometimes!)
- make sure there’s an acid. if your fruit isn’t acidic use some citrus! try LIME!
SMOOTHIE SECRET WEAPONS
- coconut milk (adds a really nice creamy richness)
- cucumber (esp if you don’t have bananas! good thickener and so fresh tasting)
- carrots (just throw an entire raw carrot in, it’s the best)
- turmeric (fresh is amazing but a 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp dried turmeric adds a nice flavour dimension and it’s so good for you)
- coconut water
- avocado (if you’re feeling fancy! great thickener, very rich, so good)
MANGO CARROT GINGER + SPINACH
frozen mango pieces, a whole carrot, 1/2 tsp turmeric, half a thumb sized piece of peeled ginger, 2 big handfuls baby spinach. top up with unsweetened almond milk/soy milk/etc until desired thickness.
PINEAPPLE RASPBERRY ORANGE
1/2 c. chopped pineapple, 1 banana, a handful spinach, 1 BIG handful frozen raspberries. add orange juice until desired thickness.
STRAWBERRY GRAPEFRUIT BANANA + KALE
8ish fresh strawberries, 1 frozen banana, 3 leaves kale (veined), 3 inch piece of cucumber. add fresh grapefruit until desired thickness.
KIWI COCONUT STRAWBERRY + SPINACH
1 kiwi, 1 big handful spinach, 6 fresh strawberries, 2 big spoonfuls coconut (use the fatty part). add coconut water until desired thickness.
PEAR CUCUMBER GINGER + SPINACH
1 ripe pear, 2 inch piece of cucumber, 1/4 inch piece of fresh peeled ginger, handful of spinach, 1 frozen banana + a good pinch of turmeric