i love this soup. I LOVE IT. it’s hot and rich and noodley and the broth is so fragrant. it’s everything i want from a food.
i had to sub in a couple things due to some lazy grocery shopping, so the recipe will include what i DID use and what i WOULD use.
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 lime leaves
- 1/4 c. chopped thai basil and cilantro stems
- 5 scallions, whites only, sliced lengthwise (save greens for later)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, wacked all over with the back of a big knife then chopped into big segments
- 4 inch hunk galangal, peeled and chopped roughly
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, cut in half (i used 1 tsp chili flakes)
- 3 garlic stems, chopped (pretty optional)
- 1 lime (i used lemon), zested
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp soy/braggs/tamari
- 1 tsp black vinegar
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 lime juiced
- 6 c. broth
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 2 c. water
- (i sometimes make a curried version of this! to do so add 2 tbsp red curry paste!)
melt coconut oil in a big pot. add everything except the liquids and cook for 5 minutes until fragrant. bash everything around with a wooden spoon to get the flavours going. add water, broth, coconut milk and bring to a boil. turn down and simmer for 20 minutes. strain! add soy, black vinegar, lime and chili paste.
- 2 c. broccoli florets (use however much of the stalk, trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 1 carrot, cut in half then sliced
- 1 block smoked tofu, cut in strips
- 2 c. chopped mushrooms (i use a mix of oyster and crimini)
- 1 can baby corn, drained
- 5 scallions, green parts only, slice (from before!)
- 4 stems gai lan or choy sum (or whatever cooking green you like really. mustard greens, spinach…), stalks chopped fine, greens chopped roughly
- 2 bunches of noodles (i used udon which is not the technical right choice, but is the noodle of my heart. any rice noodle you like will do!)
- thai basil and cilantro to serve (as much as you like)
saute mushrooms in a small pan while your broth is simmering. put aside. once the broth is strained and ready, return to heat and bring back to a simmer. add carrots, broccoli, choy sum stems and tofu. cook for 5 minutes, add everything else and turn off heat. you just want the greens to wilt a bit then you’re ready to serve.